Friday, December 23, 2011

Eat Your Vegetables


This post will be a brief introduction to my newest blog, "Eat Your Veggies."

In this blog, I will be expressing my concerns with America's current epidemic, obesity, heart disease and diabetes; and how we can prevent and treat these problems with healthy eating habits at a young age.

In essence, this is just another mommy-blog, just tailored more specifically to raising a happy healthy family, featuring my feelings and beliefs on such matters.

This blog was inspired by my utter shock at hearing several parents (either friends, acquaintances or random strangers ), telling me that their child has diabetes or some other health problem related to obesity.  My genuine concern for the health of my children began when I learned that this current generation has a 1 in 3 chance of having diabetes.  In fact, the chance raises significantly if the mother had gestational diabetes while pregnant with that child.  These two facts combined frightened me, as I (most likely) had gestational diabetes while pregnant with my daughter, Oona.

After hearing the story of a friend of mine who had a relative die of diabetes, I knew that I could never let me children have this life-long disease.  I am very determined to keep my children healthy and raise them in the best way possible (that goes for my husband too).

So therefore, this blog is currently being established.  I will fill it with information and references to help educate my friends, many of whom are also parents; because I believe that people are not properly informed and therefore cannot make healthy eating choices.  This is my war, to deliver information, because someone has too!

No comments:

Post a Comment